Monday, March 15, 2010

Do it yourself curtain


So I have this problem....

This is what you see when you walk in the door...

I know it's embarasing. Know that I did have an ugly shower curtain hanging before this. When I say ugly, I pretty much cut the bottom off and hung it up. GROSS. I love the shelves and I don't have doors for them yet so I needed a quick fix.

It has been bothering me because who wants to see all this junk when they walk in. NO ONE..not me..not no one!

So I had to do something about it...like last week and I had this IDEA.

Here it is friends. A little tutorial for you. A tutorial for a "do it yourself curtain" AKA: Junk cover!

  1. Measure the area you need to cover. (I cannot remember my exact measurements). Find some pretty fabrics you like (get a few different colors/patterns) and buy the length you need. I bought 2 yards but probably only needed 1 1/2 yards.
  2. Cut you fabrics in half length wise to create strips.
  3. Then sew the strips together (like sides) to create a pattern using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
  4. Now you need to create casing at the top for the bar. (mine is hung on a curtain rod). Fold fabric down about 1 1/2 inches, iron and sew.
  5. Then hem the bottom and wallah you have yourself a curtain.
Now tell me that doesn't look better. Yes I know I still need to clean up the top of washer but you don't see my piles of pots and pans anymore. YEAH. I now feel happy when I walk in the door instead of overwhelmed.

And with the left over fabric, I made some bonnets for the girls (thank Hannah)! Tell me these aren't the cutest little things you have ever seen. Reminds me of Holly Hobby!

6 comments:

Esther said...

love the bonnets! my girls have bonnets as well. They like being laura and mary from the little house books.

Cristi said...

the bonnets are adorable!

Nicole said...

Girrrrrrrl, where did you get all this creativeness?

Amy said...

Love the bonnets! So very, very cute...a little sad Hannah is probably to big to wear bonnets :(

Hanna said...

They are cute bonnets. And if you want the pattern it can be found here... http://kingpod.com/
under 'shop' and 'bonnet pattern'

Hanna said...

Oh yay, and cute curtain too!