Thursday, November 12, 2009

How many more days until Christmas?

The simple life will be taking on a new tradition this holiday season.

By tradition, I mean way of doing things. We decided that this year we are not going to spend much money on Christmas. Each and every person that we usually shop for will get a homemade gift from us. Now these aren't your everyday homemade gifts. These are gifts we have been working on for a loooonnnngggg time. I would love me some of these homemade gifts if I were on the receiving end.

Why you ask?

Well, for one, who needs another shirt or candle? Not me! I despise giving gifts that will not be used. Don't get me wrong, we all need a candle sometimes, but those last minute candle purchases for auntie so and so will not be made this year. I want people to value their gifts, to know that I was thinking of THEM when I made them. Personally, I love homemade gifts. To know that someone put their time and energy into making some special for me is touching.

Another reason is to save money! Not that we don't have any but really, is to worth spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on Christmas when we could be sticking in our savings accounts? Hmmmm? And again, who needs that darn candle?

Our church is participating in the Advent Conspiracy. Why not have a lighter Christmas and give some of that money away instead? I think it is a great way to teach our children to be thankful for what they have because there are some people who have much less than them. Including your children in missions of this type is so rewarding and a great learning experience for them. If you want to do something check out the link above or this one.

Not only will be giving handmade items, but for those who require a purchased item, I will be buying from local businesses and/or etsy! Of course the kids in your life may need a toy or two and this is the perfect place to buy from. I am not saying target is evil (because I LOVE target) and I may buy a few gifts from there, but my main gifts will be local! Keep your local businesses thriving. I love our town and it would be super sad to see it go under because target had a better deal. There are so many unique items in the shops in town so you all may be finding one of these under your tree this holiday season!

Anyways, I am looking forward to Christmas. The tree should be up (in our room) by this weekend, if not sooner! I need to get back to making some more gifts for you all!!!


Christmas Countdown - Christmas Layouts

No comments: