Friday, January 8, 2010

Do YOU know what today is?

Some of you know that we have started to think about homeschooling.

Before you say it, YES, I know how difficult it can be and YES, I know how regimented one must be to make it work and YES, we live in a great school district...

BUT

Did you know that mama's should be with their little ones until they are at least 8 years old? AND did you that the teacher that will be teaching your little one has 20+ other students who are all learning at a different speed? AND did you know that children are the most impressionable in their elementary years? AND did you know that we are Christians and really want God to be a part of our daily "learning" time?

Okay, so I said it. Those are some of the reasons why we are considering it.

That being said, we have started to implement a daily schedule of "learning" time. I ordered curriculum through Little Acorn Learning (THANKS SARAH) and have started using it on a daily basis along with some of my own stuff. Kylie and Cooper love it so far (as does mommy). I will let you know how it all pans out over the next few months.

Here is our room right now...it will be painted in the spring...probably yellow with a nice cork board on the wall.

Well TODAY we learned that IT IS THE 12TH DAY OF CHRISTMAS.

We decorated kings (and queens) crowns to celebrate when the wise men came to visit baby Jesus. The cirriculum talk about making a cake but due to our allergies (and mommy's lack of GF products in the pantry) we made cheese crackers...with our crowns on of course.
I am going to share with you all the recipe because my SIL shared it with me just yesterday and it has been a HUGE success in both of our households.

4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2/3 cup rice flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons milk
  • Preheat oven to 400.
  • combine all ingredients except milk in bowl. mix until mixture resembles a fine crumb. add the milk and beat well.
  • on a greased baking pan roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. cut into 3/4 inch squares (I used a pizza cutter) or other shapes if you desire.
  • prick tops with fork and bake for 10 minutes (I cooked for 15 minutes for extra cruchiness)
Now I like to give credit where credit is due but I HAVE NO IDEA the name of this book. I just have a copy of the page. Once I find out (from my SIL) I will let you know.

This is what Cooper thought of them....
and just because I have a picture of all my other children, I felt I should include one of my little "clapper" Addy....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the SIL: I also made these crackers but I omitted the baking powder and used 3/4 cup OAT flour. It comes from the cookbook You Won't Believe It's Gluten Free! by Roben Ryberg

Kara said...

thanks molly;o)

Corrie said...

Great work on the homeschooling. We are planning to home school too. You have wonderful reasons for keeping the kids home. Really, do we have to give up our sweet little babies so soon? They're so tiny! So little! :o)
Do you have a school room? It looks awesome!

Sugar Mags said...

Hi Kara - Pamela Dayton sent me from twitter! I was looking for a gf bread recipe, especially if it's egg-free, and she said you had one. I can't seem to find it on your (awesome) blog. Can you help? My little dude has a sensitive belly too! Also, weird question coming...by hard poop, what do you mean? Always runny, or fairly loose? Thanks so very much.

Kara said...

Hi Maggie,
I do have some GF bread recipes but they all have eggs in them. You can buy egg replacer and use it instead. email me and I will send you some recipes. those crackers were a HUGE hit here so remember that recipe. Cooper has loose poop all the time. Really! But since starting the GF diet, things have "harden" up some. Nice to meet you in blog land!