Friday, October 2, 2009

Fall cooking special part II

We tried out white chili this evening! It was DELICIOUS! It's an easy recipe and great for these cool blustery days.


White chili with chicken.

3 T olive oil
1 onion
2 t chili powder
1 1/2 t cumin
1 t oregano
2 garlic cloves
2 cans white kidney or navy beans, drained and rinsed
3 to 4 cups cooked chicken
1 cup corn
5 green chilies diced
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 t salt
2 T flour
3 to 4 T half and half
Grated cheese

Warm oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute it. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic, and saute for another minute. Stir in the white beans, chicken, corn, chilies, chicken broth, and salt. Bring to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, blend the butter and flour. Add the mixture to the chili and stir until it thickens, about a minute. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Add half and half to thicken it. Serve with cheese on top!

*recipe was originally published in FamilyFun's October issue.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I'm leaving you a blog comment so I don't have to register with the blog stalker bureau, ha ha!

This sounds so good! I bet Ben would even eat it, he seems like to like beans IN things. I don't know if I could get JOSH to try it though, ha.

Do you have a chopper? Like for the chicken?

Julie said...

All I have to say is OMG...

I made it today and LOVE it. It's amazing, thanks for posting.

I may just have to steal this and blog it for my blog stalkers, do you mind?

Amy said...

this looks so yummy...don't have all the ingredients or I'd make it tonight. I will have to try it soon though :)