Sunday, April 5, 2009

Kara's comments on sleep



Sleep! According to the Wikipedia: Sleep is the natural state of bodily rest observed in humans and other animals. In humans, other mammals, and a substantial majority of other animals that have been studied (such as some species of fish, birds, ants), regular sleep is essential for survival. The purposes of sleep are only partly clear and are the subject of intense research.


Dear friends, I am now in the final trimester of pregnancy which tends to leave me in a state of permanent start of sleepiness. Not only do I try and go to bed as SOON as possible at night, my dear husband has been gracious enough to let me "sleep in" on the weekends. For example: Last night I hit the hay around 9:00 and was able to "sleep" until 8:18 this morning. Now before you go getting all jealous, know that this sleep is interrupted at least every two hours by a bathroom visit or pesty back issue. I also try and take a brief nap while my children are napping during the day. With all of this "sleep" you would think I would be perky and ready to take on the world....ummmm not so much. I truly feel as thought I haven't slept in a good 48 hours at the present moment, but have drank too much caffeine to actually fall asleep. No judging..pregnant people CAN drink caffeine...and pregnant mamas with two small children are absolutely allowed to drink more than 2 cups a day if necessary!

But I digress...

How come all of the pregnancy books tell us expecting mama's to get as much sleep as possible before the baby comes. Don't they know we are going to try and torture ourselves with this expectation? To be honest with you, I tend to feel more rested after the baby comes!! My children have trained me to be wide awake in the wee hours of the morning and with a baby all you have to do is feed it while sleeping! How great is that? So lets just hope that this dear baby of mine will be a good eater and sleeper so this mama can FINALLY get some rest! And for all of you who would like to sue the publishers of those darn baby books for unnecessary anxiety over sleep, I will totally join in the cause!

Oh and don't you just wish you could fall asleep anywhere, anytime you were ready for a nap? The picture above was taken of Cooper a few weeks back after he protested the daily nap. He literally fell asleep sitting up while everyone was talking and eatting! CRAZY huh? I wish I could just put my head down on this computer desk and close my eyes!!! Not gonna happen though.

And now the monitor calls me to go get Cooper up from his NAP!!!

1 comment:

valerie said...

eeeek! I so remember those days. Even without a baby in belly and children who are old enough to sleep through the night (but don't).....I often think, when will i sleep? maybe when my kids are 40? Probably by then I'll have the repeat issues of running to the bathroom and an aching back. Oh golly...bring on the coffee!!
Will be praying that you get some continuous,restful sleep.