Sunday, January 5, 2014

Food clean out day 1

So snacks...

My kids are grazers.  They love their snacks so I try to make them healthy.  I plan on making lots of bread from shredded zucchini I found in the freezer and applesauce I canned in the fall.   BUT...what about on the go?  School lunches?  When mommy is just too busy blogging to stop and get a snack ready....

Well my wonderful Sister In Law made us fruit strips for Christmas this year.  Let me just say they were de.licous!  The kids gobbled them down within a few days.  Now, I don't have a dehydrator yet so I needed to figure out a way to make them without one.  AND.THEY.WORKED.OUT.GREAT! 

Yesterday we made strawberry ones and today I have apple in the oven. 

And did you know it is ever so easy!  And healthy! And frugal! 

Since I love to can, I had an abundance of jams and unsweetened applesauce in the Hoosier. Simply, spread a thin layer of jam/applesauce on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap and bake at 170 for 6-8 hours.  It doesn't take up energy and works great.  Then flip the dried fruit on some wax paper, cut, and roll.  Wallah!

*WARNING:  These will be gone within seconds if left unattended! 

Enjoy!

No comments: