Monday, April 19, 2010

Ya, I'm talking to YOU

12 "She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life."


Pressure, Pressure (in the words of Billy Joel) is all I have to say after reading this verse. Who is to bring their husband good...don't look around the room for the "other" person who isn't there...yup it's YOU!

SHE brings him good....

In Genesis 2:18 the Lord says, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.".

And guess what...that "helper" is you friend. YOU are the one God choose to do your husband good!

Charles Bridges says,“An excellent wife is the crown of her husband...she is his crown; his brightest ornament, drawing the eyes of all upon him, as eminently honored and blessed.”


Remember verse 10...rare and beautiful?

But we don’t always feel like bright ornaments, do we? Especially during those "ugly" times! You know, those times when we are NOT doing our husbands good but harm.

Here, we are told that we are to do HIM GOOD. Now, how do we do him good?

For me, I need to focus on my husband MORE than I focus on my children. I think many times, as busy mom's, we forget about our husbands. He is the man who makes the money, disciplines the kids, mows the grass, and sleeps next to us in bed. I know that is a little harsh but lets face it, sometimes that is how he is treated. Now look at the verse again, "she brings HIM good, not harm, all of the days of her life". It doesn't say, "she brings (her children, neighbors, friends, family, and her husband) good, not harm, all of the days of her life"...it says, "HIM".

God certainly made this clear that our husbands are suppose to be our priority.

So how do you bring your husband good?

Why don't you ask him. Ask him what things you are doing now that are not *respectful to him and ask him what things you do that bring him good already. I know I have a list a mile long of things I do that don't bring my husband good. It can be overwhelming at first but just take one at a time and work from there.

* A GREAT book to work through is called "Love and Respect" by Eggerichs. It will really really REALLY key in on that respect piece and how to actually bring our husbands some good!

2 comments:

Rebz said...

What a good point about our husbands being our priority and not self or children. I think that when we make the commitment to bring him good, we allow him to bring us and our children good. I also agree about the respect thing-give your man some respect, and watch him turn into someone very respectable. It's cool.
XOXO
Joce

Monkee said...

I agree. Sometimes, we get so busy with the children and their schedules, we forget about spending quality time with the man who made our children possible :)