Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fall cooking special

Since becoming a stay at home mom, I have found a love for cooking and baking. I love to try out new recipes but unfortunately my hubby is Mr. meat and potatoes! He does eat my cooking and smiles about it but I know he would rather be eating a raw steak! On top of that, my little monster man doesn't enjoy ANY food that has a combination of ingredients in it. Anyways, I decided to try out a recipe I found in the family fun magazine this past week. Of course I did some modifications but I just loved it so much I figured I would share it with you!

Chicken and Veggie Cobbler:
1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch dice
1 1/2 cups peeled and thinly sliced carrots
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1/2 broccoli
1/2 corn kernels
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion
1 large chicken breast cooked and diced
3 tablespoons flour (I used a gluten free mix)
2 1/2 chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 1/4 cup hot water
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt/pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/3 cup grated parmesan
*you can add whatever other veggies you have laying around. The recipe called for butternut squash but I didn't have any.

topping:
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil
  1. Heat oven to 400. Place potato, carrots, peas, broccoli, corn, and whatever other veggies in a pot and fill with enough water to cover. Cook veggies for 4 minutes after boiling, drain and rinse.
  2. melt butter in a large, deep skillet. Add the onion and saute it. Stir in flour anc cook the mixture for another 30 seconds. Add the vegetable broth, milk, salt, pepper, thyme, and celery seed and continue to stir until sauce thickens, about 4 mins.
  3. Add cooked chicken, vegetables to the sauce and stir well. Add more salt/pepper and stir in parmesan. Bring to a simmer and transfer to casserole dish.
  4. Make the corn bread topping by whisking together cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk, egg, and oil and stir until blended. Spread over the veggies and back for 25 mins.
Serves 8 plus!

3 comments:

gugibufugi said...

That sounds awesome! I'm going to try it tonight! I was wondering what I would make. Thanks! :-)

Nicole said...

Sounds yummy!I'll have to cook it for the fam on a cool fall night.

By the way, Addy and Colin are (were) just about the same size at four months! Except, I'm sure he has a bigger head...since he takes after the Tracy's!

Sophia said...

mmm sounds good! we'll have to try that :)